History of Fairfax, Vermont
In the year 1787, Levi Farnsworth made the first settlement on the Plain, on the place now owned by Warren Soule. He came from Charlestown, New Hampshire, bringing only his gun and axe, and commenced his clearing, building a log-house for his residence.
During that year (1787.) Capt. Broadstreet Spaffor, on his way to Burlington to mill, when near the Great Falls, saw the smoke of a cabin, and making his way across the river, discovered in Mr. Farnsworth an old acquaintance. This was the first knowledge he (Capt. B.) had of neighbors south of him.
In the Autumn of the same year, he (Mr. Farnsworth) returned to New Hampshire. In 1790 he moved his family to his new home. They moved by the way of Williston, and thence cut their road to Cambridge Borough there crossed the Lamoille, and proceeded down its north bank, by the road of Capt. Spafford, and again fording the river just below Great Falls, cut a road to their new home about a mile distant. He was soon followed by his brothers and friends, Jasper Farnsworth, sen., Jasper Farnsworth, jr., Oliver FARNSWORTH and Joseph Farnsworth, all of whom settled on the Plain.
The Vermont Historical Gazetteer: A Magazine, Embracing a History of Each Town, Civil, Ecclesiastical, Biographical and Military, Volume 2, published by Miss A. M. Hemenway, Burlington, Vt., 1871, page 168 Google Books